>

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Make My Machine's Moniker (Please?)

Woo hoo!

I replaced Daisy yesterday. (Well, technically I replaced Daisy and Kitty both.)

The new vehicle is nicer than I imagined she'd be. MUCH nicer. She's not "new" new, but new enough to me that I feel like I won the lottery. Problem is, I didn't win the lottery. I committed to a figure about 30% higher than the one I had mentally set as my top dollar...

BUT, I really couldn't help it. I think God wanted me to have her. That, or the devil stuck her in front of me for temptation and I failed miserably. Either way it's divine intervention and therefore "less" my fault if it was an unwise choice. (I told you I hate making big decisions.) It's a long story, but I ended up having to make 5 trips past a certain dealership yesterday morning instead of my usual 2 trips. And she kept jumping out at me:

"Kellllllll-eeeeeee here I am! Waiting. Just. For. YOU!"

This whole vehicle replacement thing's been a struggle  for me. I needed something used, (bring the price down); but dependable, so looking for lower miles (take the price right back up); probably a low-mpg type sedan but maybe a coupe, (bring the price down); but I hate short cars and try as I might can't even force myself to like one model over another (bring the price right back up.)

I didn't want to borrow money (which would mean the price would have to go WAY down... along with the quality of the vehicle in question), but the whole point of shopping was for "dependable." "Dependable" would also mean something that would last me a while. It just broke my heart to think, I might doom myself to several years of driving something I despised. (Which meant, bring the price, and the possibility of borrowed-money option, RIGHT BACK UP.)

So, again, I ended up purchasing something more expensive than I planned. (sigh). But I LOVE her! :)

She's a 2006 Ford Escape. XLT package. V-6. Overdrive. 18/23 mpg. Sage Green. Tilt. Cruise. Leather Seats. Six CD changer. Electric everything. Four doors, no more climbing over seats for the girls.

Isn't she beautiful?


She doesn't have a bad side.
( I would have taken a picture from the back, but she's modest.)

She doesn't have a name. P.D., B.B. and I  brainstormed for quite some time for one yesterday but didn't come up with anything we liked.

Deat and I often used alliteration with the make- or model-name, but not always.
Examples:
  • Sally - Deat's Mustang "Mustang Sally"
  • Rachel - my Ram 50
  • Fritz - (the only boy) Deat's Chryler Sebring. Deat got the name from some comment I made about his using German stealth to get me to agree to the purchase.
  • GertieMac - my GMC Sonoma. Don't look at me, Deat named her.
  • Daisy - my Dodge Dakota
  • Kitty - the Buick Riviera. There's the link to the post explaining her name. To save you time, she had a Supercharger, and her name came from the adrenaline rush I'd get when I'd step down on the accelerator and her motor awakened from her typical almost inaudible purr to her quietly powerful roar. (Man, I loved that!)
This is where you, dear reader, come in. PLEASE HELP!

The JKH Vehicle Naming Contest

The only rule is the same vehicle-naming rule we followed: you must give a reason for your choice, and it can't be "just because I like the name."   The alliteration trick is fine. Hopefully her specs and the examples above will help you. The girls and I will vote to pick our favorite entry, hopefully before G & V whisk them off to the beach Sunday morning. 

Please use the comments section of this post for your entry. You may enter more than once (mostly because I'm terrified that we'll have very few entries and have to name her something we don't like).

We don't know what kind of prize to offer, so we'll discuss that later. Remember, we're poor, we spent all our money yesterday.

5 comments:

  1. She's a beauty!
    Ellie or Effie. Not only is it alliteration, but it rhymes with Daisy, Kitty, and Sally which seems to be a trend too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ya Kelly.... Just thought I would comment on your naming the new vehicle blog.... lol..... I like how you named all of your vehicles. My car is named Ashtar. I will tell you how that name came about lol... I used to play D&D(dungeons and dragons) back in high school with some friends. That was the name of my character. And on of the special items my character had was called "boots of speed". Well naturally a mustang is supposed to go fast lol.... hence the Ashtar.

    I also maybe have a name for your new car "FOXEY".... The FO from Ford... The X from XLT and .... The E from Escape ... and The Y is from your name KellY.... and I thought it could also mean YOURS....

    Well anyways.... I will check back and see what you and the girls named her.

    Have a great night my friend....

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some folks are having trouble posting comments, so some entries from over on Facebook:

    Stephanie: I think her name should be Elvira Mistress of the Dark!!!!!!! She has sleek lines and dark tinted windows that make her mysterious

    More Steph: How about Queen Latifah? Because she is big, dark, and beautiful! or Ivy... because no one would let me name any of my daughters that name.

    Richie or Wendy:(they use the same Facebook, it has Richie's name but suspect Wendy: I like Justine

    Terre (The Not-Right Writer):She's an Escape, needs to be Thelma Louise.

    Susan (not my sister):I like Thelma or Louise, but I think you need a name that has a happier ending... How about Ethyl? (Maybe it will bring you good karma for gas prices!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts:

    Harrison (Harrison Ford)
    Janet Jackson (I heard 'Escapade' the other day.)
    Kermit (because it's not easy being green)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another entry from TLC


    Kelly,



    I’ve tried multiple times to post this to your blog, but something isn’t working. I’m not sure what is going on. It just won’t let me post. Anyway, here’s what I posted i.e. the moniker:



    Okay, I'm going to try this again this morning. My post still hasn't shown up. If it does, guess it'll be here twice.

    I came up with something a little out of the box. Yep, it's typically a guy's name. Bear with me a minute.

    J. A. K. E. - Jake for Jerry, Abby, Kelly, Evelyn.

    I just couldn't resist. It's not often when the initials of a family create a name. :-) You are all about family and it's a way to make the car all about family, too!

    Having said that, I have no idea why and since I can't justify it, I can't really suggest it according to the rules. All I can say is that when I first say the picture, the name Ellie Mae jumped in my head. But, in all honesty, I like Jake better... :-)



    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete