>

Monday, May 2, 2011

bin Laden's Dead and I Want a Cigarette

I didn't plan to blog today. I mean, I don't want my readers to get the idea I'm consistent or anything.. But it's something of a monumental day, so I figured I had better say something. 

Osama bin Laden is dead. I will say, I was surprised by the sheer volume of jubilation I found over on Facebook and throughout the news. I neither lament nor celebrate this event. After all these years I'm a bit numb to it.

Nonetheless, when I remember September 11, and as we all remember, where I was and what my thoughts were... I think I would have rather he come to trial and answered for his crimes. If it had to end this way I think I still agree with Capricorn Cringe over on The Friggin' Cat House,  "I’m glad we didn’t drop a bomb on his head. I’m glad he went out shooting, because that means he knew exactly what was happening and who was doing it. And why." 

I do wonder, will his death make us safer or incite more violence? We shall see.

Right Turn, Clyde. (Start at 1:20.)

In other news: I started using my Nicorette gum today. B.B. hasn't felt well, I ran out of cigarettes around lunch time and didn't want to drag her out to buy more. The gum does keep the edge off, but offers none of the satisfaction of my habit. But, I've come this far; I might as well keep going.

So, I'm joining the ranks of non-smokers. I don't have to like it. I'm just doing it. I really don't have a desire to be a non-smoker. I'm not proud of myself... I'm really kinda pissy.  So much so, I'm actually using the word pissy in my blog and not cringing (much).

Please don't tell me you're proud of me, or send me big congratulatory notes. I hate this. If you make a big deal out of it, it could be just the impetus I need to go buy a pack... just to rebel against your joy. That's the kind of person I expect to be for a while. Consider yourself warned.

I just re-read the last two paragraphs. Maybe this gum doesn't really take as much edge off as I thought.

So again, don't be proud, don't congratulate, don't spread the news. Just forgive me for whatever I say the next time I talk to you and that will be plenty moral support for me.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I have anything to say about Bin Laden other than that the jubilation surprised me as well.
    As for quitting smoking... You know where I stand on it, so I'll just say be as pissy as you want... I can take it. Been there, done that with the former smoker I live with... Bring it on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was shocked too at the jubilation. Don't get me wrong, justice was served and I'm okay with that (maybe glad), but some of the scenes in Times Square mimicked anti-American protests in the Middle East. Where is the line that makes America different from the rest of the world? A true evil has been eliminated, but I thought we were better than that... or maybe people are people. Just my two cents...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome puppetben...

    1. What I'm finding around the 'net and beyond is that most people are surprised with the jubilation. So it's probably the media's selective coverage, the fact that the celebrations ARE news probably make it look more widespread than it is.

    2. I think I'd be more3 surprised if New Yorkers weren't celebrating. It's a lot more personal there.

    3. Both you and I admitted that we might be "glad". So are we hypocrites for commenting?

    People are just people, and so are we. :)

    ReplyDelete