>

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

But Then I'd Have to Kill Ya...

So I lied. Sue me. (Um, that's figurative. I mean, you could sue me, but I just recently got the first full-time job I've had in the last 3 years... flush with cash, I ain't.)

What did I lie about? I said I'd tell you about my new job. But I won't. Much. If at all.

This is hard for me. I'm really a fairly wide-open person in real life as well as on here. I spent a great deal of time weighing the pros and cons. The problem is my profession.

Yes, I'm still a counselor. A bona fide got-the-master's, got-the-preliminary-license counselor... yaay me! Some of you virtually walked the road to reach this point with me.

I can tell you that on the day of my interview for this job, I overslept. WAY overslept. I had to go meet the MC (my former boss and internship supervisor) at a restaurant to pick up a reference letter to take with me... so I had to go meet with him and on to my interview with only a quick clean up and no shower. As I explained to the MC, in my efforts to set my alarm a little earlier to give myself MORE time to get ready the night before, I somehow didn't manage to get the alarm turned back on.

The MC: Do they know about that gun you carry?

Me: What gun?

The MC: That one you're always shooting yourself in the foot with...

AHEM!

As for the blog, the concern lies in all that professional counseling entails. One of the backbones of counseling is confidentiality. Most of my readers are personal friends; they know me, and generally know where I live. Luckily, in my previous job, I didn't work in the same town where I lived... and NONE of my friends know/knew the MC. (He made great blog fodder, who needed to talk about clients?) In my new position, in this community, if I named my employer and/or told stories about my clients, I would risk exposing the private information entrusted to me. I can't do that.

Counselors also have strive to keep the sessions and the relationship focused on the client, not on the counselor. Self-disclosure can have value, but only if it enhances the client's understanding. If the disclosure does not serve a definite purpose, it should be avoided. I am in the helping relationship to provide a service to the client, not to make a friend or be a friend; not to serve my own interests or open up my life for comparative scrutiny. My clients don't need to concern themselves with the happenings in my life.

A little over a year ago, someone Googled some basic information about me and found this blog. With the above principles in mind, I went through and removed as much identifying information as I could. While my blog is open to the public, it's not as widely read as I had hoped it would be. For my purposes as a counselor, this is good news. The odds that one of my clients would stumble upon my blog are fairly slim. I need to keep it that way as much as I can.

So, I won't be talking about work, much. If I can tell you a story and keep the other interests securely protected, I might, but I just don't envision that happening. Unless, I get an oddly fascinating and amusing co-worker.

Maybe I should see if the MC wants to come work at this new place, too.

1 comment:

  1. As it should be... :-)
    Best of luck with the new job! I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete