>

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

No lesson here, just random nonsense from my world

My backyard's grass is too long. Way too long. Between school, internship and rain, I haven't had a chance to get the mower out. It's become a regular haven for rabbits. More on that later.

Mary Gina came down from Northern Kentucky to stay with me during week, going home on weekends, for most of March while she worked down here. Mary Gina is my other sister. Too long to explain.

Anyway, she's my counseling hero. She's been at it 20 years or longer. And she's frickin' brilliant. She's fun and she has all these stinkin' amazing ideas. Did I mention she's hilarious? And brilliant?

She flat schooled me playing pool once... but I don't hold it against her. (So you can see, it's sister-love, right?)

We had a blast while she was here. We made chocolate cake in a cup; staged a "Leprechaun Invasion" in the kitchen the day after St. Patty's that sent B.B. into orbit; she taught P.D. to use the word "nonsense" interchangeably with "stuff"...

"Hand me some more of that banana nonsense."

"Let's take a crack at this homework nonsense."

"K, if we're gonna do that we have to go to the store to pick up some nonsense."

We ate real food that I never get to cook because the girls' two votes beat my one; sat up late and watched Firefly nearly every night on Netflix (I love that show! Of course, she did too). I forgot how fun it was to have another adult in the house.

Of course, all was not perfect. My bed is king size, so it just made sense that she take half of my bed instead of sleeping on the couch. Someone in your bed when you've been alone in it for 3 years is an adjustment. That adjustment wouldn't have been so bad, but she fell in love with Sophie the Wonder Dog and because of all her begging, Sophie got to sleep in my bed instead of being sent to P.D.'s.

Grumble, grumble, but not much. She at least was good about putting Sophie out in the morning.

Then it happened. One morning Mary Gina (sans glasses) called up to me, "Kelly! I think Sophie had one of the girl's toys in the yard and she brought it back in all wet!"

I came to the top of the stairs to see MG standing there looking down at Sophie who was proudly carrying half (not all, HALF) of a REAL RABBIT in her mouth... looking very pleased with her little Jack Russell self.

I grew up on a farm. I was not shocked, just concerned about how to get her out the door so Mr. (or Ms.) Rabbit's carcass did not end up on my carpet. Then again, I went a teeny bit ballistic.

Me: Ahhh! Mary Gina, get her to go out! Get her out!

Mary Gina (blind sans glasses): What? The kids have tons of toys. I'm sure it's just wet from being outside!

Me (realizing MG can't see it and trying to keep from freaking her out): Just herd her toward the door!

MG (bending over): Hey Soph, let's go out, k?

Meanwhile, I start down the stairs. Sophie sees MG reaching for her prize and darts right past me up the stairs and straight under my bed, her favorite place to take toys, pencils, books, shoes, anything she can get her teeth on, to chew into oblivion.

The look on Mary Gina's face when I told her what Sophie really had in her mouth was priceless. We went on a mad search for a flashlight to see if we could get Sophie out, or at least fish her prize out if she dropped it. None of them were working. Mary Gina refused to go into my room. "What good will I be? I can't see!"

By the time I managed to get a lamp down beside the bed where Sophie normally hides, she was gone. I guess she ran back out when she heard me coming. The best I could tell, there was no rabbit under there, but we conducted a search of anywhere we thought she may hide one. We spent the next couple days sniffing around the house "in case" Mr. (or Ms.) Half Rabbit didn't get taken back outside. No smell, it's all good...

Until today. When P.D. called her in from outside this morning, Miss Sophie brought a new prize, a WHOLE baby rabbit, in with her. I thought P.D. would have a nervous breakdown until I got that thing thrown off the back porch outside.

When I came back from taking the girls to school, I noticed that Sophie had retrieved her new prize from the yard and was on the back porch chewing away... but over half of this prize was gone. When I looked out later there was just a tiny bit left.

I sent MG a text: BTW, figured out what happened to the half rabbit. Sophie ATE it! She brought in another one this morning!

MG: OMG that is SO GROSS!

Me: Tell me about it! P.D. was traumatized!

MG: So am I, sister, so am I!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sister!

    Can I come back next month...more work to do! LOL

    I'll come the night before...so we can have a "Firefly fest".

    Love ya Kelly,

    MG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to make sure you have a pleasant, rabbit-free stay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lmbo! I see why you posted the link to this blog entry. I figured Lucy had eaten the other half. I just didn't want to admit to it. Ick!

    Love you,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete