>

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Nerds



I decided to get in touch with my inner nerd. My true self. The one I hid in high school by avoiding anything that didn't seem cool. I decided to start with the basics.



So as I type this, I'm watching TNG (Google it) and fighting the urge to send a text to Blog Kirk and ask him why the guys in Shuttle Bay II didn't get sucked out the great big door when it opened. Shouldn't they have brought the shuttle in, closed the door and then done some kinda vapor lock thingy before they went in there?  And did Picard just kill himself from another dimension?

"Ooooh, I HATE when one of my crew gets sucked out into space!"


A few weeks ago, Kirk and I had dinner at a chinese place. We were discussing Bones McCoy. Kirk (the blog Kirk, not the real one) said Bones had been married at one time and had a daughter.

Me: "No way! I'm almost done with Season 3 and Bones just got done saying how he's almost always been lonely!"

Blog Kirk: "He does."

"There is no way Bones would go gallivanting all over space if he had a daughter waiting on some planet."

"It may be from one of the Star Trek books, but I'm sure he does."

"Did Gene Roddenberry write it?"

"No."

(As I got up to go back to the buffet) "Then it ain't cannon."*

(Somebody help me, did that REALLY come out of my mouth?)

So, um, yeah. I'm a nerd.

I think everyone around me already knew it, even from way back in high school. Still, I avoided science fiction like the plague lest someone suspect. I appreciate those of you from back in the day, for letting me hang on to my illusion of cool... My fragile ego couldn't have stood knowing that you knew.

So thanks to you all,  but that facade?

I don't need it anymore.


* You can look up what that means, too. If you already know, you might be as nerdy as me.
Oh, and the truth is, I wrote this one weeks ago, just forgot to finish and post it. I'm well into DS9, now.

1 comment:

  1. Well, then, okay... I got tricked into liking TNG and the following Star Treks by love... LOL!!
    I never even thought about whether or not it was cool to like Star Trek or well anything else I've ever liked... Hhmmm!
    I have to admit, I am a Seven of Nine fan... If you don't know who that is, you will. She joins the crew of Voyager, but I can't remember during which season.

    ReplyDelete