>

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It's Almost the Two-Year Mark

And what a journey it's been so far. May I say the learning curve has been much longer than I imagined?

P.D. asked me question yesterday that threw me for a loop.

"Mama, did you love Daddy?"

"What? Yes, more than anything in the whole world! Why would you ask me that?"

"Well, I hear you say that he was your best friend, I never hear you say that you loved him."

"You don't remember? Daddy and I always kissed each other hello and goodbye... we constantly told each other we loved each other."

"No, not really I don't."

Wow. You really never know what they know and don't know. I had to remind myself, P.D. was only six... he's been gone for almost a 1/4 of her whole life. She remembers special things he did and said, but what he was like, day-to-day, eludes her. B.B. doesn't remember him at all.

The one thing, perhaps the only thing I've been consistent about in the past 2 years is my concern for my girls' feelings in all this. I've made a special point to give them as much information about their Daddy as I can, and to preserve anything that might give them any inkling about who he was for when they're older. I read books, talked to therapists, and I really thought I had THAT PART of this life covered.

"Everything else can fall apart, as long as I handle this well, I'm okay." I will say, I am pleased that P.D. felt she could ask... I did something right.

Today, P.D. and I practiced her lines for a play she's in... "The Four Presidents" at The Gusto Theatre here in L-town. God bless Mr. Dowell, he gave P.D. a part as one of the reporters, knowing her Daddy had been one.

I really enjoyed giving her tips on how to deliver her lines. It gave me the perfect opportunity to tell her how much I loved hearing her Daddy on the air, and how beautiful I thought his voice was. Yet another lesson learned, thank you God for the chance to immediately act on it.

Along the same lines, if you knew Deat, (Jerry), and you haven't already, please take a few minutes and go to the guestbook on his memorial website, and share a little about him, especially any good stories you may have. You can SAY how great he was, but a story will SHOW it.

I think it will mean so much to the girls to read about their Daddy and what he was like from all sorts of angles. Also, if you know other people who knew Deat, (especially those that I may not know) please, pass the site along. You have no idea what a gift you'll be giving my girls, and therefore, me.

3 comments:

  1. As usual your honesty chokes me up. You are so right that it's good - no it's great that she felt she could ask the question. Sometimes its the little things we think are assumed that we forget to say. So, friend, just in case I haven't told you lately, I love you and I appreciate you. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know Deat, but I know you, so I know he was awesome.
    Having lost Jon, I understand a bit of what you have been through. I just hope you know that I am always here for you, to vent, kvetch, or otherwise be silly with.
    Your girls are blessed because they have a fabulous mother and a father (and a Father, no?) who loves them from heaven.

    P.S. I gave you a Blog Award a few weeks back on my blog, and linked folks in the post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to echo TL's comment.

    I love your writing. (And the fact Mr. Dowell gave Ev the part of a reporter.)

    ReplyDelete