>

Friday, December 4, 2009

I Feel Lucky, Too

Can you guys stand a story about how great my kid is?

Today is Friday, the day B.B. gets to spend all day with Mommy.

She's not actually old enough for Headstart (missed the deadline by 2 months) but she attends anyway at a local childcare. There's no Headstart on Friday, so we hang out together all day. Sometimes we go pick up McDonalds for breakfast after we drop P.D. off at school.

Normally, P.D. is my angel, always thinking of others and putting them ahead of herself. Most times, P.D. is really happy for B.B. when she gets to do something special. (My Dad says he's never seen a child as good as P.D.... he says he knows HE didn't have one!) Her sweet and kind nature make her sorrows that much more painful for me to see.

So, her reaction this morning really threw me. As B.B. was chattering happily about going to get pancakes, P.D. became jealous and hurt; she was so mad she wouldn't eat breakfast here at all. I reminded her that she and I had a lunch date earlier in the week after her doctor's appointment. Since I live for teachable moments, I also pointed out that this was why the Bible tells us not to covet... it only makes us miserable. I pointed out other examples where she got to go do special things without her sister. She was having none of it.

I spent forever on the phone this morning with my sister discussing it, it really upset me.

This afternoon when B.B. and I picked her up, she was in a serious but sweet mood. She reached over in the car and hugged me and said she was sorry for being angry this morning.

"I re-read part of 'A Child Called It' today." (A book about an abused child that had really upset her.)

Thinking this was P.D. changing the subject, I replied, "Oh, it made you really sad again, huh?"

"No, it made me feel lucky."

2 comments:

  1. OMG, A Child Called It got to me on such a deep level I had to donate it to the library. I couldn't keep it on my book shelf. Every time I looked at it, I started gagging and became incredibly upset. I couldn't even read the other books that tell the rest of his story. Just seeing them upset me too much. I've been told by numerous people I should read the rest because it may help me overcome my reaction to the first one. Maybe someday I'll be able to. BTW, I gagged a little just reading the title now, and I read this book years ago. Evelyn is apparently better equipped to handle it than I am. Good for you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet story.

    I was much older before I realized how lucky I was to have the parents I have.

    ReplyDelete